7.3 Application notes
Prior to beginning any leak detection process with helium, the
user must clarify several fundamental questions:
- How pressure-resistant is the test specimen?
- Is there a preferred direction for pressure resistance and
can the pressure gradient encountered by the test specimen in actual
use be simulated?
- Is only the location of the leakage to be determined or
should it be quantified?
- Should the integral leak rate of the test specimen be
determined? If so, what is the maximum acceptable leak rate?
- What fluid reference applies for the leak rate indicated?
- What test pressures does this apply for?
- Are there any safety aspects to be considered?
On the basis of these answers an appropriate test method can be
selected from among the methods indicated in chapters
7.2.4 and 7.2.5.